After fillings have bad taste in mouth

I recently had two fillings replaced by my dentist (3/17/10). He used an "amalgam" for both replacements. Since I've had these fillings replaced I've had this really bad taste in my mouth. It's hard to explain the taste but initially it was bitter and tasted like when you get a tooth drilled (especially when I drink water, I get the taste in the back of my throat). I thought the taste would go away but it didn't and I went back to the dentist on 4/23.

During the 4/23 visit, the dentist said the amalgam is tasteless and my issue couldn't be from the new fillings. He checked the fillings and I realized the taste was coming from only one of the teeth with the new fillings. Every time I ran my tongue over the filling on the tooth I had that horrible taste. The other filling didn't have the taste. The dentist took an xray of that tooth and emailed the image to an endodontist believing the tooth might be dead. The endodontist said it wasn't (no need for root canal) and to just clean it thoroughly, which the dentist did.

The taste is getting better (or just less of it) but now the taste is bitter and kind of ear waxy. When I run my tongue over the tooth I don't get the taste much at all now, but I still have it at the back of my throat when I drink water. I have been rinsing my mouth with Periogard since Saturday, which I think is what actually helped the most.

Also, I have had issues with my gums. I do have recession and the onset of periodontal disease.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if it is the amalgam that bothering me, or if I have problems with the tooth or the gums.

Ask a Question