Brown translucent blotch has appeared on front right tooth (image in-text). Can someone help identify what it may be and what my options are?

Solutions
Unfortunately unable to attend a dentist atm.

20200826_152452.jpg

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It's hard to tell based on the one image. I can't tell if it is internal or external (staining). It does not appear like the tooth had trauma. How long ago when you first noticed it? Does it feel rough or smooth to your tongue? You can try Over-the-counter whitening strips. I would avoid whitening toothpastes since it can be too abrasive and cause damage. Treatment options are...1. bonding with minimal drilling. You many not need anesthetic. The disadvantage is the bonding tends to be fragile so no biting into apples, carrots, hard toasts, etc. Another disadv is it can stain. 2. Veneer(s). This requires minimal drilling and the technician fabricates a porcelain facing. Advantage is it can look really nice. Disadvantage is it is very expensive, very fragile, and can be hard to match just one tooth. If different lighting hits the veneer, it absorbs/reflects light differently than the adjacent teeth and could stand out. If your job requires absolute best esthetics, then maybe 2, 4, or 6 veneers to blend it to your liking. I would recommend the bonding (least expensive and traumatic) first.

Vote:
Solutions
It's hard to tell based on the one image. I can't tell if it is internal or external (staining). It does not appear like the tooth had trauma. How long ago when you first noticed it? Does it feel rough or smooth to your tongue? You can try Over-the-counter whitening strips. I would avoid whitening toothpastes since it can be too abrasive and cause damage. Treatment options are...1. bonding with minimal drilling. You many not need anesthetic. The disadvantage is the bonding tends to be fragile so no biting into apples, carrots, hard toasts, etc. Another disadv is it can stain. 2. Veneer(s). This requires minimal drilling and the technician fabricates a porcelain facing. Advantage is it can look really nice. Disadvantage is it is very expensive, very fragile, and can be hard to match just one tooth. If different lighting hits the veneer, it absorbs/reflects light differently than the adjacent teeth and could stand out. If your job requires absolute best esthetics, then maybe 2, 4, or 6 veneers to blend it to your liking. I would recommend the bonding (least expensive and traumatic) first.
Hello and thank you

Hello and thank you for your response!

It's certainly helpful to hear a professional perspective. I first noticed it about 2 weeks ago, it feels a little rough over the tongue I think. I have been using Colgate whitening paste with baking soda, may I ask why this is actually damaging? I've also ordered some crest whitening strips so will see how they work before trying the other options you mentioned.

Finally, in the attached, I've posted an updated picture from today. It kinda seems like it has gotten worse but I cant tell if so or just lighting? I'd be really grateful to get your opinion.

Many thanks
Samuel

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200906-181744_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200906-181744_Gallery.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 87

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Whitening toothpaste are usually more abrasive and can damage the enamel and gums. If the stain is external (my guess), try the whitening strips' chemical action to bleach out the staining. If the results are not to your liking, try the professional strength from you dentist office. Last resort is for your dentist to lightly drill and place bonding filling.

Vote:

Ask a Question