Wisdom teeth and Protrusion

Hello! Doctor told me to remove all 4 wisdom teeth, because they cause issues.

I have mouth protrusion and narrow palate. He said that he could widen my arch with braces, but didnt say anything else.

I want to fix my protrusion, but I dont want to extract my premolars. Is it possible for the doctor to use the wisdom teeth space to retract my teeth?

Thank you.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
No. Not enough info about whether you will benefit from premolar extractions (which ones?). If unsure, get another opinion.

Vote:
No. Not enough info about whether you will benefit from premolar extractions (which ones?). If unsure, get another opinion.
Greetings Dr MattKW.
The reason I'm asking is because I want to avoid extractions of any of the premolars, as I have heard that it may have negative consequences in the future.

Some people have told me that doctors can use the wisdom teeth space to retract teeth and some others say that they can't, or they can but it is hard work (teeth need to be pulled back one by one).

My protrusion is not that severe, but it makes me self conscious and causes me mouth discomfort. I also have a narrow palate and TMJ.

Thank you for your answer, I appreciate it.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Premolar extractions in teenagers or younger is uncommon nowadays, except in more severe cases. Usually the orthodontist will look at maxillary expansion at an early stage in order to avoid premolar extractions. However, if you get ortho treatment as an adult, maxillary expansion doesn't work, and premolar extractions may be an option to consider.

Vote:

Ask a Question