White stuff hanging down from extraction site normal?

Hello is it normal after tooth extraction and bone graft to have this white material or tissue where it is hanging down some from the extraction socket area. I think maybe granulation tissue but I was eating soup and realized slurping also not a good idea just like straw so stopped that but it was forming anyway yesterday.

Attachments

• 2023-8-16 13-59-8.jpg
    2023-8-16 13-59-8.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 25
Thanks one more question attached photo. The extraction socket seems in good shape and healing but I am noticing a white patch on the gum in between the tooth in front of where the extraction was done and they also did a bone graft. This seems new I did not notice that before. I am on antibiotics as well but that looks odd to me and it is whiter than the photo attached here shows. Anything to be concerned about?

Attachments

• 1000007925.jpg
    1000007925.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 24

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Soggy semi-keratinised tissue. I suspect you haven't been brushing too often in this area recently, so you have built up a soft skin layer (keratin) that will brush away and is of no significance.

Vote:
After a tooth extraction and bone graft, it is normal to see white material or tissue hanging down from the extraction site. This white material is usually granulation tissue, which is a normal part of the body's healing process. Granulation tissue is composed of blood vessels, collagen, and white blood cells, giving it a white color. It serves to protect the site until new gum tissue or bone can form.Sometimes, surgical gauze may also be visible in the socket, which will also be white in color. As long as it is not causing any discomfort, it is best to leave it alone as the body will eliminate it on its own.However, if you are experiencing severe pain along with the white material, it could be a sign of a complication such as an infection or dry socket. In such cases, it is important to contact your dentist for further evaluation and appropriate treatment.

Vote:

Ask a Question