Normal for new white filling?

I had a white filling only 2 days ago. It doesn't hurt or anything but I notice there is a small black spot on it. Does this sound normal? I'm not bothered about the cosmetic effect as it's a back tooth but am hoping this isn't something that could affect the health of the tooth and shouldn't be there.

It's not uncommon to notice minor color variations or imperfections on a newly placed white filling, particularly within the first few days after the procedure. Here are a few things to consider:

Material Settling: The composite material used for white fillings may experience slight changes in color or appearance as it fully cures and hardens over the initial days. This settling process can lead to temporary discoloration.

Staining: External factors such as food and beverages can cause staining on new fillings shortly after placement. Dark-colored foods or drinks may leave temporary marks on the filling's surface.
Residual Debris: There might have been some residual debris or material on the tooth or filling during the placement, resulting in a small spot. This can happen even when the utmost care is taken during the procedure.

Natural Variations: Natural teeth have variations in color and texture, which can become more apparent when a white filling is placed next to the natural tooth structure.

Since you're not experiencing any pain or discomfort and the spot is on a back tooth, it's likely that this is primarily a cosmetic concern and may not directly impact the health of the tooth. However, to ensure that everything is progressing as expected and there are no underlying issues, it's a good idea to contact your dentist. They can assess the situation, provide guidance, and determine if any adjustments or further actions are needed.

If the discoloration continues or if you have any concerns about the filling's integrity or your oral health, it's best to consult your dentist. They will be able to offer personalized advice based on their examination of the filling and your tooth. For getting more informations from Dental care professionals please Visit Mylifesmiles.

Vote:
Thank you for your reply. It's very helpful. I rang my dentist and she explained to me (by phone) that this sounds like a small stain and she is not concerned about this as she has seen me recently but to let her know if it gets bigger or worse. Otherwise she will review it at my next appointment in October.

Vote:

Ask a Question