Whether upper wisdom tooth removal doesn't require stitches?

Solutions
Hi,
I had my upper wisdom tooth extraction. I did it with numb shots. Didn't go for sleep sedation. The procedure was very quick and I felt some pressure while pulling out. Then he immediately said it's done. I was shocked. It literally took 2 to 3 minutes I immediately asked him (thank God. I was awake and know what's happening). I asked why no stitches? He said no stitches required for upper wisdom tooth and only lower ones will have stitches. Is that so? Anyone had stitches for your upper wisdom tooth removal? How will the hole wound get better and sealed??

And , I am bleeding for more than 5 hours and keep changing my gauzes. How long will the bleeding continue? Is it normal? How to stop bleeding? I am feeling so sleepy and I couldn't sleep because I keep checking on gauzes and changing it every 30 to 45 minutes.

How long bleeding will continue?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It is normal for the bleeding to continue for a few hours. If it is still bleeding after 24 hours, go back to your dentist. It isn't always necessary to place sutures. A blood clot forms in the socket, that will eventually turn into tissue. This can take a few weeks. Don't disturb the blood clot in the mean time with excessive forceful rinsing, placing your finger or tongue into the socket as well as any other foreign objects.

Vote:
Solutions
It is normal for the bleeding to continue for a few hours. If it is still bleeding after 24 hours, go back to your dentist. It isn't always necessary to place sutures. A blood clot forms in the socket, that will eventually turn into tissue. This can take a few weeks. Don't disturb the blood clot in the mean time with excessive forceful rinsing, placing your finger or tongue into the socket as well as any other foreign objects.
Thank you doctor @Dr M. Appreciate it.

When can I start rinsing? I got a prescription for mouth rinse. It's been 24 hours after the extraction now. Can I rinse with mouth rinse or salt water rinse now or tomorrow?

I didn't brush yet after the extraction. Can I rinse today? And what should be the diet like?

I am eating only jell-o, pudding, yogurt and water. I am worried about dry socket. How to avoid it? What to do to avoid it? Please share your inputs.

When should I rinse?

Vote:

Ask a Question