What treatment will I need?

A012A776-19D0-449D-BE92-BE17F0103210.png
BDB8F557-1652-4B01-A6F2-045A4E8DC84E.jpeg
0C877A50-39A7-4BB7-96FB-4485422C9BA6.jpeg
221F930E-4BFA-4135-A3FC-98138F9F0952.jpeg
hi,

So as you can see from the photos below, I have an issue.

It started out as the middle of my tooth being cracked, sort of crumbling. I thought nothing of it until the other night when I was brushing my teeth, I did what needed to be done and then I noticed that there was a gap. I took the photos and hey, hey, there’s now a gap in between my teeth.

The first photo shows what it was like before and the rest are what it’s like now.

I don’t have any pain, I’d say it’s more just sensitivity like I brushed my teeth a few minutes ago and I’m fine, it’s just feels weird - hard to describe.

I went to the dentist today and they can’t get me in until the 5th December which is a while away so I’m worried it will get worse. I signed up as a new patient today so I don’t know if they will allow me to get an appointment earlier.

I’m worried that my tooth will have to be extracted? My friend told me that it looks as if I’ve cracked it but I’m not entirely sure. What treatment do you think will need doing? Please help as I’m petrified about loosing my tooth.

Thank you.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Unfortunately your teeth looks like it has a lot of decay. I'm sure x-rays will show deep decay. Where are you located? If there are plenty of dentists, find one you trust and get treated.

Do you drink a lot of sodas, Energy drinks, flavored coffees, etc.? Those beverages bathe around your teeth and cause damage. I live in Starbucks country with one in every corner. I see this kind of damage too often.

Vote:
Unfortunately your teeth looks like it has a lot of decay. I'm sure x-rays will show deep decay. Where are you located? If there are plenty of dentists, find one you trust and get treated.

Do you drink a lot of sodas, Energy drinks, flavored coffees, etc.? Those beverages bathe around your teeth and cause damage. I live in Starbucks country with one in every corner. I see this kind of damage too often.

I’m from the UK, I can’t get in until December 5th so I’m wondering if it’s worth asking for an appointment sooner. And yes, I used to drink loads of sugary drinks but I haven’t for a few months now. What treatment do you think will need to be given?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Dec 5th isn't far away for this sort of problem. This is going to be a large cavity, and you'll probably escape with a large filling. In the long term, this will be a very weakened tooth and an eventual fracture and extraction is likely. The decay appears to go under the gum level, so you won't have much hope of placing a crown.

Vote:
Dec 5th isn't far away for this sort of problem. This is going to be a large cavity, and you'll probably escape with a large filling. In the long term, this will be a very weakened tooth and an eventual fracture and extraction is likely. The decay appears to go under the gum level, so you won't have much hope of placing a crown.

Went to the dentist today and they cleared the decay and placed a temporary filling in until the 5th December. Do you know how far in the future it’ll be when I have to have my tooth extracted if that’s the case? I’m just self conscious because it’s noticeable when I smile.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
We can't predict how far into the future but you will know when to extract the tooth. If you experience intense pain that wakes you from sleep, it means the nerve (root canal) is damaged. If you notice swelling, it means the nerve died and became infected. If you are eating your favorite foods like crispy bread and the tooth broke off, then you know it is time.

Get all of your teeth checked and establish good dental habits & diet to minimize these unfortunate conditions.

Vote:

Ask a Question