What could be the problem?

Ok, so I had a root canal about 7-8 months ago. Everything was going great until yesterday. All of a sudden, during lunch when I was chewing my food (I don't have a crown but I have a post. I was told it was ok to chew and that the post would do until I could afford a crown whenever) and it just felt different. Not pain, but like "pressure" I guess (but not bad). I noticed, but didn't think much of it until after. My mind started worrying and I started thinking about it after. I spent hours tapping it and touching it with my other teeth (probably a bad idea, I know) until the pain got a little worse, a little worse, and a little worse. I had ice cream a few hours later and I decided to see if cold bothered it so I ate it on that side directly on the tooth (followed by a glass of ice cold water which I also drank on that side....why? I have no idea). No problem at first, but about 10-15 minutes later the pain worsened. It started bothering me if my tongue touched it, if I brushed it, it another tooth touch it, etc. I decided I should probably leave it alone and it slowly started getting a bit better. I took Ibuprofen before bed and woke up fine. Didn't hurt to brush or when I touched it with my tongue. I had a soft breakfast and decided to chew on that side just to see how it would feel (too soon for that probably) and it did feel sore still but not that horrible. It's been fine today for the most part. I haven't chewed on that side, it only hurts if I bite down hard or touch a specific part of the tooth with some force. It isn't pain, more like very sore, as if you were pressing on a bruise on your arm or something. I've googled symptoms and some say it could be a crack (I really, really hope not) or maybe just a sprained ligament which will go away on its own with time. I have no idea what to think. I was hoping not to go into the dentist until August, as that is when my insurance coverage starts and I've wasted enough on the root canal....I literally have nothing left. Any opinions? Has anyone been through anything similar? Please help. I'm terrified of the dentist as it is. I thought this was all finally over and now this.

P.S. I took a hot shower and it relieved the pain a lot! Could it be sinus issues? I think it's tooth number 14. I was on meds a few months ago that really dried out my nose and I've been stuffy still (nothing too bad). Opinions?

Ask a Question