Unnecessary Root Canal: Wrong Workflow?

#46 molar cracked upon biting on it last June. X-ray in early July did not show an anomalies, crack was filled. Filling broke 2 weeks later and it was redone another 2 weeks later. At that time, pain had set in.

Referral to endodonist, another X-ray and a CBCT scan: rarefying osteitis...caused by irreversible pulpitis.

Pulpectomy on four roots.

3 days later, pain increased, headaches added. Root canal had failed right away. After 11 weeks of "aggressive non-therapy" (German: aggressives Zuwarten), the pain was worse than ever.

Endodontist took another X-ray (attached), which shows continued osteitis. I decided against obturation and for extraction.

Endodonist commented "endodontics is not an exact science". I can add: but a very lucrative one...and all risk is with the patient.

A German relative of mine, an oral surgeon, interpreted the exit X-ray, and speculated on a crack in the mesial root (attached).

Extraction by an oral surgeon confirmed his observation.

In the end, the root canal had been unnessecary. The question is: should an endodonist have interpreted the CBCT scan...as he focused mainly on the osteitis. I don't trust a system that is unregulated and based on excessive profits. Conflict of interest.

The whole cost of filling, root canal, and extraction was $3300 CAD: $300 filling, $2000 imaging and pulpectomy, $1000 for extraction. An expensive mutilation and the prospect of spending $$$$$ on an implant and crown.

The German oral surgeon commented: "considering how many teeth I have extracted in my career...if I could charge $1000 for an extraction, I would run out of ideas how to spend my money".

Bottom line: I am not sure whether a CBCT scan can image all cracks, but proper imaging/interpretation could have saved $2000 and 11 weeks of pain.

Next time, I'll go to Germany. May not be much cheaper but the medical attitude is better.

jürgen kraus X-ray 2023-12-11.jpg

pristine copy.jpg

Ask a Question