Did my dentist do unnecessary work?

Hi, I'm new to the forum - apologies for the length.

I have just started seeing a new dentist due to a move. He did x-rays and told me that I needed to re-do one of my fillings (I felt no pain), have a new filling, replace a filling that came out (I agree) and have another filling in a spot where the filling kept coming out (my old dentist told me to leave it and keep it clean). I was not feeling any pain in any of the teeth and felt sick that I needed so much work. I now find it odd that there were no actual cavities, just decay thathas prompted the work. Also odd was his rush to do everything.

I went back to see him to get the the work started - I thought he'd start with the broken filling. He replaced this with a temporary filling and said he wanted to keep an eye on the nerve to see if it would eventually need a root canal (I don't understand this). The same appointment, he replaced the filling on my other tooth and made the new filling in the third tooth (both were deep). I now feel extensive sensitivity and wonder if he is was just doing unnecessary work for profit?

-Does decay need a filling? Could he have just kept an eye on this - and were there any other options?
-Do old but otherwise fine fillings need to be replaced?
-Why do a temporary filling - doesn't it risk breaking down and prompting root canal?
I'm getting copies of my x-rays soon - there is just something in my gut telling me he doesn't have my best interests at heart. I've had a few dentists in my life and this is the first time I have ever felt this way.
Can anyone advise?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Ask a Question