Is it better to extract the root of a lateral incisor tooth or leave as it is?

I would like to know if it is better to extract the root of my lateral incisor right tooth which is broken or to leave it as it is because it does not hurt me because the nerve of this tooth was removed several years ago when a decay was repaired and I read that when the root of a tooth is extracted there is always the risk that the adjacent teeth are damaged.

Hence, I would like to know if it is worthwhile to take this risk

English is not my first language so I am worried if I ask this question to my dentist because he may not understand me properly and it is why I ask this question in writing in this forum

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Depends on how broken the tooth actually is. But teeth, with one root, usually can be extracted easily without serious risk to the adjacent teeth, if done by a proper dentist.

Vote:
In case I use a bridge to cover my right lateral incisor tooth which is broken, I would like to know if I extract the root of this broken tooth the bridge will last longer.

In particular I would like to know if the bridge will be inserted in the hole left by the extraction of this tooth and as a consequence there is less risk that the bridge will fall.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You will have to extracted the root. You never leave a root behind below a bridge, because it can lead to future failure of the bridge.

Vote:
I read that after the extraction of the root we have to wait several months before putting a bridge to wait that it heals and its shape to stabilize.

It is inconvenient to have to wait so long before having a bridge and there is also the possible complication due to the extraction of the tooth

Hence, I would like to know if the nerve in the root has been removed and the part of the root which sticks out is removed by the dentist if we can put a bridge without extracting the root.

Moreover, I read that the hole in the gum left by the extraction is only temporary and as a consequence it will not be possible to insert part of the bridge in it to make it last longer.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You have to remove the entire root. Your body sees it as a foreign body and even if you only begin with removing the top portion that sticks out through the gum, the other portion will also come out eventually. Your body pushes it out.
When removing the root piece, you have some bone loss in the area. That is why we usually recommend waiting 3 months at least before starting a bridge.

Vote:

Ask a Question