Uneven bite and asymmetrical face caused from closing gap of first molar extraction with braces - Can i still do anything about it?

I had my first upper molar on the right side extracted instead of a root canal. I had braces during this time so my dentist decided to close the gap (using elastics iirc). I was almost done with my braces but this gap closure delayed it for a few months. My bite was uncomfortable for a while but it religned as if my second molar was my first.

I still did not have my wisdom tooth come in during this time. It come out a year later and took the place of where my second molar used to be.

Now, my braces are about to be taken off. The lower and upper teeth create a perfect aligned arch. When seen through the Y plane it looks perfect. The problem is in the bite.

The gap closure made the top-right half of my palate narrower? When I feel the roof of my mouth with my tongue, the right side (where the gap was closed) always feels narrower than the left, as if the teeth were pulled in.

When i bite, only the left half of my teeth make actual contact. The top set of the right half feel raised upwards, creating an open bite. Even if i shift my jaw. the right side never fully bites. This is also visually evident.

I am most concerned with the assymetry of my face ever since. The right side of my face looks like it had melted downwards. The cheek is much more sunken on the right side, there is a deep nasalobial fold only on the right side, my smile droops down on the right side, and my jaw is also drooped.

My dentist says that the bite is already perfect and there is nothing more to be done. The prolonged stay of brackets on my teeth are causing more dental problems (such as cavities) but i am debating whether the brackets can still be used to correct my facial asymmetry (with another dental professional).

Also it may be important to note that i just recently got the lower-right 1st premolar extracted as well. I think i may have broken both the upper and lower teeth chewing on something hard before and both succumbed to cavities. Though, i will never close the gap this time and just have a false tooth attached to my permanent retainers to avoid my second molar sinking into the open space.

Is there still anything to be done? Or is the asymmetry irreversible? Thanks in advance to anyone who answers!

link to the photo:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
There is clear asymmetry visible in the photo. Is your dentist a general dentist or an orthodontist? It does not make sense that the molars don't touch on one side, unless the treatment is being stopped prematurely.

Vote:

Ask a Question