Sore teeth - likely uneven bite

Hi,

I have a bottom molar with a large filling. This tooth developed a crack. My dentist decided to put a full cuspal composite overlay, he said this will stop the tooth flexing. After this procedure I have been unable to bite anything hard on this tooth and my gums felt swollen, orginally starting from just the treated tooth and over weeks progressing along my lower jaw/gums right to the centre bottom teeth. Antibiotics seemed to have cleared up the swollen feeling in my gums temporarily, however it recurred.

I went to my dentist and told him my tooth hurts when I bite anything hard. He said that the pain is because the filling is high, he said he will adjust the filling. He didn't tell me, but he filed down the top teeth above the filling. Now I have pain in my canines and other teeth. They feel like they are clashing together, chipping my teeth, causing the gums on my canines to recede and causing a lot of pain.

I am not happy that the dentist filed my teeth without my permission or even telling me what he did. I have no idea how many teeth he touched but can see two teeth are significantly shorter than the same tooth on the opposite side. Also his dental nurse alerted me to him filing my top teeth when she told him "What are you doing?!" And he simply said "I'm not doing any damage". It looks like he wanted to make sure the top left couldn't touch the bottom left molar. However filing my good teeth for a bad tooth that had a "crack like glass" that may have gone right through is illogical to me. Now I have pain in the top teeth on the opposite side since the filing down, and my teeth on the opposite side seem to be banging together causing pain. The pain is keeping me awake. I'm scared it will do damage but I do not trust him anymore because he filed down teeth, which cannot be undone, without telling me and it seems to have created more problems for me. Please give me advice on how to proceed.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It sounds like you might also have a grinding issue. I would seek a second opinion in this case.

Vote:

Ask a Question