Treatment and Costs For Failed Root Canal

Solutions
Dose £1700 represent a typical fee for a second attempt at a failed root canal plus placement of a post crown? What would be the typical success rate?

UL 5 with chronic periapical abscess:
sh08jqu.png

Ad

Advertisements

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Unfortunately the success rate for root canal redo is very low. I would save your money along with post crown placed on a compromised root canal that could fail or fracture and consider implant instead. I'm unable to see the rest of your teeth so I can't evaluate your restorative options.

Solutions
Unfortunately the success rate for root canal redo is very low. I would save your money along with post crown placed on a compromised root canal that could fail or fracture and consider implant instead. I'm unable to see the rest of your teeth so I can't evaluate your restorative options.

I'm thinking that you may be right about that. The risk vs cost and then if it failed; at such a figure I am a decent percentage of a single implant anyway. I get the impression that it's all money to them though and they have been pushing me to try a re root canal.

The suggested option down the extraction and implant route would be to perform a graft and sinus lift for UL 6 and place two: UL 6 & 5. If not then I have been told that placement of a single implant at UL 5 would risk slippage and further atrophy resulting in failure due to the gap behind it.

fvtno8l.png

I am however also on a time limit on the right side as all of the bone is being reabsorbed. That object on the LL 6 is a root remnant which is very close to the nerve. That's the third challenge; they have to dig that out without paralysing my face in order to graft and place one down there...

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Hard to say, but endodontists can salvage many failed root canals. The follow-up question is: after redoing the root canal, will there be enough tooth left to put on a crown and repair the structural damage? Root-filled premolars are quite weak and it seems you do not have molars, so based on the little info we have been shown, I would suggest an extraction, and look more for an implant.

Solutions
Hard to say, but endodontists can salvage many failed root canals. The follow-up question is: after redoing the root canal, will there be enough tooth left to put on a crown and repair the structural damage? Root-filled premolars are quite weak and it seems you do not have molars, so based on the little info we have been shown, I would suggest an extraction, and look more for an implant.

I've provided a plane for an overview (which has not shown yet as the post is awaiting moderation). Right now there is about 1-2 mm of jagged tooth material extruding above the gingival tissue.

Solutions
About endodontists, I really believe they can do a lot when it comes to deal with reendo, but they have a conservation attitude, they always try to save the natural tooth, unless they have a fracture, or the pacient prefers another solution. I hope you can manage the problems you have right now, due to inflammation that is around your teeth.

Ad

Advertisements

Solutions
By way of an update; the tooth is a confirmed total loss. I've consulted with a number of endodontists and all are in agreement that I should have it extracted.

Ask a Question