Treatment and Costs For Failed Root Canal

Solutions
Dose £1700 represent a typical fee for a second attempt at a failed root canal plus placement of a post crown? What would be the typical success rate?

UL 5 with chronic periapical abscess:
sh08jqu.png

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Unfortunately the success rate for root canal redo is very low. I would save your money along with post crown placed on a compromised root canal that could fail or fracture and consider implant instead. I'm unable to see the rest of your teeth so I can't evaluate your restorative options.

Vote:
Solutions
Unfortunately the success rate for root canal redo is very low. I would save your money along with post crown placed on a compromised root canal that could fail or fracture and consider implant instead. I'm unable to see the rest of your teeth so I can't evaluate your restorative options.

I'm thinking that you may be right about that. The risk vs cost and then if it failed; at such a figure I am a decent percentage of a single implant anyway. I get the impression that it's all money to them though and they have been pushing me to try a re root canal.

The suggested option down the extraction and implant route would be to perform a graft and sinus lift for UL 6 and place two: UL 6 & 5. If not then I have been told that placement of a single implant at UL 5 would risk slippage and further atrophy resulting in failure due to the gap behind it.

fvtno8l.png

I am however also on a time limit on the right side as all of the bone is being reabsorbed. That object on the LL 6 is a root remnant which is very close to the nerve. That's the third challenge; they have to dig that out without paralysing my face in order to graft and place one down there...

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Hard to say, but endodontists can salvage many failed root canals. The follow-up question is: after redoing the root canal, will there be enough tooth left to put on a crown and repair the structural damage? Root-filled premolars are quite weak and it seems you do not have molars, so based on the little info we have been shown, I would suggest an extraction, and look more for an implant.

Vote:
Solutions
Hard to say, but endodontists can salvage many failed root canals. The follow-up question is: after redoing the root canal, will there be enough tooth left to put on a crown and repair the structural damage? Root-filled premolars are quite weak and it seems you do not have molars, so based on the little info we have been shown, I would suggest an extraction, and look more for an implant.

I've provided a plane for an overview (which has not shown yet as the post is awaiting moderation). Right now there is about 1-2 mm of jagged tooth material extruding above the gingival tissue.

Vote:
Solutions
About endodontists, I really believe they can do a lot when it comes to deal with reendo, but they have a conservation attitude, they always try to save the natural tooth, unless they have a fracture, or the pacient prefers another solution. I hope you can manage the problems you have right now, due to inflammation that is around your teeth.

Vote:
Solutions
By way of an update; the tooth is a confirmed total loss. I've consulted with a number of endodontists and all are in agreement that I should have it extracted.

Vote:

Ask a Question