Top of tooth busted off - problem?

A month or two ago the top of one of my teeth (lower middle-right) broke off. It didn't hurt. I'm not having a problem with it, but my wife is concerned that if I don't get it "taken care of" (whatever that means), I will end up with an abscess. Is this a valid concern? If I do see a dentist about it, what is he likely to do - put a cap on it, or...?

A month or two ago the top of one of my teeth (lower middle-right) broke off. It didn't hurt. I'm not having a problem with it, but my wife is concerned that if I don't get it "taken care of" (whatever that means), I will end up with an abscess. Is this a valid concern? If I do see a dentist about it, what is he likely to do - put a cap on it, or...?

Update: another piece busted off; now my tooth (to my tongue) feels more like the Seattle Space Needle than Mount Rushmore.

Vote:
Cap or root canal or extraction....

It's odd that you're not feeling pain at this point, you might have already had a root canal done on this tooth? because with so many pcs coming off you'd think you'll feel some pain. Either way, the options will obviously depend on the diagnosis, here's what I think:

If enough tooth structure is left and the nerve is vital - the Doc might be able to save the tooth by doing a buildup (composite tooth structure) and crown or cap
If there's not enough tooth structure left and decay is deep - extraction
If there's a prior root canal and the root canal is good - post buildup and crown
If there's a prior root canal and an abscess - the doc might retreat your root canal post buildup and crown
if there's a prior root canal and an abscess that's too bad - the doc might extract.
on and on and on.
So what's really important is not to ignore your situation because, the longer you wait the worse the treatment and the more expensive....Listen to your wife!, you don't have to let her know she's right :)

Vote:
Update: another piece busted off; now my tooth (to my tongue) feels more like the Seattle Space Needle than Mount Rushmore.

Based on a report I found via Googling, I ate two cans of cashews in a 24-hour period, and the tooth has stabilized. I was having intermittent extreme pain prior to that, and when I coughed or sneezed, it felt as if my tooth was lifting up, &c.

Also, cloves applied directly to the painful area helped alleviate the pain while the cashews were working.

Vote:

Ask a Question