Take Out Top And Bottom Wisdom Tooth?

I took out my lower right Wisdom tooth and just wanted to know if I should take out the top one right above it? Is it a necessity? Has anyone just taken out one Wisdom tooth but not the other and do you have any issues with it?

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It's not an absolute necessity if it is doing no harm. However, it is now a redundant tooth that doesn't have anything to chew against, and is just going to be a pain to keep clean. Most people have serious problems with lower wisdoms, and after a sometimes unpleasant extraction, get scared off the top wisdoms. Really, top wisdoms can be so easy to extract it's almost embarrassing for me.

Vote:
It's not an absolute necessity if it is doing no harm. However, it is now a redundant tooth that doesn't have anything to chew against, and is just going to be a pain to keep clean. Most people have serious problems with lower wisdoms, and after a sometimes unpleasant extraction, get scared off the top wisdoms. Really, top wisdoms can be so easy to extract it's almost embarrassing for me.

Thanks for your reply doctor. The top Wisdoms may are easier to take out but which is more dangerous? The top are near your sinuses. I read a lot of complaints about the sinuses getting affected also with their removal. Does the bottom Wisdom tooth have any issues?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Thanks for your reply doctor. The top Wisdoms may are easier to take out but which is more dangerous? The top are near your sinuses. I read a lot of complaints about the sinuses getting affected also with their removal. Does the bottom Wisdom tooth have any issues?
In rare cases the extraction of upper wisdoms may cause fracture of the surrounding bone (tuberosity), and exposure of the sinus lining. But to tear through the sinus lining into the sinus is extremely unlucky. Lower wisdoms have the problem of being surrounded by more thicker bone, and they are often at odd angle, so surgical bone removal may be required.

Vote:

Ask a Question