My teeth are already straight after 2 months of braces (out of 12) - should I stop the treatment?

Hey guys,

I used to have braces when I was a teenager but after 10 years one of my teeth moved a bit forward and I wanted to correct that - it's not a big deal but it bothered me. I was told I should wear braces for 1 year, which I thought was a bit long since it concerned one tooth only but I'm not the orthodontist so I said yes. I was also told I will have a retainer at the end of the treatment behind the top teeth to prevent them from moving again. Now after 2 months my teeth are already realigned and I'm happy with the result. What would be the consequences if I ask the braces to be removed and have the maintainer directly? I really don't wanna wear braces for an extra 10 months since my teeth are straight now, but I don't know what the consequences would be (if there are any). I have my next appointment with the orthodontist in 2 weeks but I'm afraid it'll be a bit 'rude' to ask them to stop the treatment.

Hi,

It's never rude to ask things, so go ahead for it. But personally I reckon that you should keep braces for a longer period since the teeth need to settle permanently and the bone marrow needs to regrow which can take as your orthodontist says up to one year. But it's best to ask your orthodontist.

Cheers,

Emedee

Vote:
Hey,
Okay I didn't think of that (the fact that the teeth need to settle permanently). That makes more sense. Will still ask my orthodontist for more info about that and I'll just wait another 10 months.
Thanks!

Vote:
Hey,
Okay I didn't think of that (the fact that the teeth need to settle permanently). That makes more sense. Will still ask my orthodontist for more info about that and I'll just wait another 10 months.
Thanks!
Believe me when I say an orthodontist wants you to finish as soon as I’d prudent. He/she does not want to keep you in braces just to have a captive audience. Let your doctor finish their work. You don’t want to do this again, right?!?! Trust them.

Vote:

Ask a Question