Tooth going black after the wrong root canal filling – malpractice ?!

After a long history (more than 6 months) of mishaps, severe mistakes some that could be easily considered malpractice, something terrible happened to my 36 Molar:
In an attempt to fill the root canal with something, my doctor admitted to combined the following:
-Metronidazole
-Neomycin
-Hydrocortisone
-Calcium
all of them in dry dust form, prepared in some pharmacy lab.

After one day the tooth started to darken, contacted by phone my doctor said that everything is ok. After 3 days I visited another doctor, and he discovered that the paste invented by my former doctor has gone black inside my tooth, that started “eating” the healthy tooth from inside, that the tooth became brittle and it is generally speaking beyond any repair. Big chunks of black sand-like pieces of my tooth where extracted from inside out. He also urged me to find out what substances the former doctor combined.

The former doctor did admit to use all of the above, although I'm absolutely sure that he mixed them with some liquid that he does not want to disclose, and thus the chemical reaction and the production of what I guess to be something acid.

If anyone knows what substance may have made the mix go black, please let me know.
Also any solution to what is now a porous black shell of a tooth (maybe something that can restore the tooth density a little). As I cannot have implants due to a genetic autoimmune disease, it is very important to me to keep the tooth as long as possible.

Many thanks,
M

This problem is known as Discoloration.The red blood fills all the tubules in the Dentine which is the internal tooth structure.The blood then clots and turns dark which is the color you are seeing.The only way to reduce the color is to do an internal bleaching. porcelain veneer may be used to mask the discoloration protect the tooth. Depending on the location of the tooth and your budget your dentist should be able to recommend the best option for you.

Vote:

Ask a Question