Temporary filling crumbling out

I had a root canal (first one ever) on May 1. The tooth I had it done on already had a crown. Later the same day I noticed a shallow hole in my tooth. I contacted the endodontist that did the procedure and sent him a picture. He said some of the temporary filling crumbled out and that it wasn’t a big deal, it was still sealed from any biological problems and should be okay until I was able to get a permanent filling by my regular dentist scheduled on May 21st.

He offered to refill it, but this would require taking more time off work and traveling quite a distance, so I declined since he thought it should be okay. Now 10 days later it seems deeper, like more temporary filling has crumpled out. It’s hard to gauge the depth just by feeling it with my tongue, but on day one I guessed slightly less than 1mm deep. Now maybe around 2mm deep. How much of this temporary filling can continue to crumble out? My appointment for a permanent filling isn’t for another 10 days. Since the tooth already has a crown, there should be no major risk of it cracking, I just don’t want it to risk it getting infected.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
In RCTs the temporary fillings are very deep, and it would take several months to break the seal. If the pulp chamber is completely filled in with temporary filling, then it's probably about 8mm of thickness.

Vote:

Ask a Question