Smell coming from gum of front crown

Hi everyone back in 2010 most of my front tooth got knocked out during a soccer game, so i got a crown put on in its place. In the last while (maybe a year or so) ive been having bad breath and i couldnt realise why this was, until about a month or so when i rubbed my gum with my finger above my crown and got an awful smell from my finger (smelling like infection or even feeces) my tooth/crown isnt painful whatsoever so im just not sure what the problem could be. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated,
Here is a picture of the back of the crown, im not sure if this is what the back of a crown is meant to look like or not but i hope this picture might help diagnose my problem..
Thank you very much in advance
Keith

Here is a photo of the back of the crown to try help diagnose the problem

Attachments

• IMG_0557.jpg
    IMG_0557.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 477
Probably i think you got a traumatic injury on your front teeth & there is a infection inside the tooth which is causing the problem.Take an xray so that you can know the situation inside the tooth.If there is a infection ypu will need Root canal treatment followed by crown placement.

Vote:

Great Lakes Dental

Verified Dentist
Hi 1keith1,

Do you recall if your front tooth was root canaled before the new crown was placed back in 2010? If you lost a major portion of your tooth, then most likely a root canal would've been performed. In any event, what you've described is most certainly an infection that will require either a retreat, antibiotics or both. The reason you've haven't been experiencing pain is because 1) it sounds as though the infection is draining (which both relieves pressure by way of the infection draining into your mouth causing bad breath/taste) and 2) likely your tooth has been root canaled.

Leaving your infection untreated for any longer, may result in even more damage to your oral structure (such as accelerated bone loss). I recommend you seek treatment at your very earliest opportunity.

Regards,

Dr. Jennifer Thomm
Cosmetic Dentist
Sarnia, Ontario Canada

Vote:

Ask a Question