Bad Smell but no Pain after Upper Wisdom Tooth Removal

Hi, this is my first post here, female, 24 yo. So I went to the dentist last week to get my upper left wisdom tooth removed (very back down there, so I couldn’t see it but I could feel it when I touched the gum). After taking a panoramic dental x-ray, there were actually 3 of them (the other 2 are bottom wisdom teeth)! *Gasp*. I opted to only have my upper left wisdom tooth removed in that visit, and planned to have the other two removed next month.

After having the tooth removed, I didn’t feel any substantial pain as I obediently put my gauze, took my meds and ate porridge a couple of hours after the procedure. Fast forward a couple of days, I felt the string of the stitch dangling over the removal place, but I couldn’t be sure whether it was the stitch went loose or it was only the end-tail of the stitch. Of course, I couldn’t brush that specific location and so I only gargle with salt water and the prescribed mouthwash by the doctor. Thing is, I felt that there were food pieces there, but I couldn’t check for sure since it was way too far down there. When I feel the location with my finger (a clean one, of course) there was a bad smell, but no slightest pain at all.

Fast forward one week (now), the location isn’t painful at all. I can even brush the location very, very carefully already and it doesn’t feel painful or bleed at all. But that location still smells bad and when I feel my way along the gum, I feel that the gum doesn’t seem to close (it feels hard, not soft like gums should be). I worry that it may be a dry socket, but why doesn’t it feel painful at all? And what about the bad smell that specific location emits?

Can anybody give me some insight about whether this is normal or not, because I really worry if I have a dry socket. Also I worry that the gum won’t close soon and the root of the tooth beside it will be uncovered for an unhealthy time.

Note: Due to my schedule I can only go to the dentist at least two weeks from now, and I don’t have access to syringes or Waterpiks like some will suggest. Any insights will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The cause of bad breath after a tooth removal is the flow of blood. The extraction site may have occasional bleeding for first two days which can cause both an odor and an unpleasant taste in your mouth. This blood clot and lack of refreshment is the first reason to cause bad breath after tooth extraction. Stay hydrated to get rid this type of bad breath. Consume fresh juice to keep your body hydrated and eat healthy foods.

Hope this helps!

Vote:

Ask a Question