Sinus lift/bone graft complications

3 weeks ago I had a molar pulled that cracked after I had a failed root canal; infected root was up into the sinus despite endodontist opening it at least 3 times. I was already missing the back molar next to it that's been gone for years.

I got the bad tooth pulled and 2 bone grafts (Cadaver bone), for future implants.

I was not informed about a "sinus lift"procedure but partway into the surgery the oral surgeon said it was needed. Something seemed to go wrong. He started yelling to his assistant the the membrane was folded back and to get some tool right away. That was where the first tooth (next to last molar) was pulled I think. On the graft for the back molar he had trouble getting it to bleed enough. Many years ago I had a bone infection there after sinus surgery to open up my sinuses.

He also told me the tooth he pulled was a "tough" extraction. It hurt much more than the earlier extraction years ago. The "tap"for the sinus infection was excruciating and I finally yelled for him to stop. I had a car accident injury a year ago that included a concussion and blurred vision for a year that only recently stopped after a nerve block and I was afraid he was going to reinjure that, there was so much pain and pressure.So he used a tool and wrestled and wrestled to get that tooth out.

After the surgery I kept having bits of bone come out, including one fairly large chunk, swelling and pain. I've been on Doxycyclin since a few days before the surgery as the tooth was infected. This is the only antibiotic I can safely take; I have allergies to 5 or 6 others.

When I went back for the 2 week checkup he said there is a "hole" forming.It looks brown inside and there's a huge gap up the side of my gums. I asked if they could add more bone graft or if it needs to be reopened and he said no, to come back again at 4 weeks; he did not remove stitches.

I am still having constant drainage down the back of my throat from the sinus so apparently it's still infected or the sinus is, and I'm nearly out of antibiotic. I'm concerned infection may be sealed up in there now. He thinks there will be enough bone for the implant but I am skeptical. It still hurts a lot, 3 weeks after surgery and my cheek still has some swelling.

What should I do? I am in the San Diego inland area.

I am now terrified of dentists after so many screwups. I've lost 2 molars, each because endodontists missed extra roots that were not filled. I've had sinus surgery 15 years ago that left me with a necroiizing bone infection and all the antibiotics I had to take is what started triggering many allergies. And now this. How can I get the infection/drainage cleared up with so many allergies(there's basically no other antibiotic I can safely take)? What should be done about the "hole" and how do I know the membrane was properly repaired?

i am losing my dental insurance at year's end so if there's any expensive x-rays or short-term procedures needed I want to get it done now and not wait. Already the future implants will be on my dime.

I'm 59 and in otherwise good health. One other concern: I just read on your site that some membranes used are collagen. I had a reaction once to a facial product and the beautician said I might have a collagen allergy.

Last edited:

Ask a Question