Sinus lift while on Plavix-bad idea?

I probably should have asked this question before I had it done 2 weeks ago. Im in constant pain that only Ibuprofen will relieve. I also have stronger pain meds that I am resisting taking.. Pain is a symptom of something wrong, right?.

The side of my face from my nose up to my eye hurts, not a lot of swelling and no skin heat on the sinus. Im generally feeling sort of sick..Not getting better. I had a follow up with the periodontist, took some pics, said everything looks good and is healing properly. He would only be worried if there was increasing swelling up the side of the face, which he says is not the case. He says to keep taking the pain meds.

Behind his back, I went to ENT MD I knew and he said that the Plavix- an antiplatelet - should have been a consideration before going under the drill. The blood is not coagulating as it should, and the med is causing the blood to pool above the bone in the sinus area. Its not draining properly. He said the danger of an infection is greater, and he gave me an antibiotic to take-Cefuroxime..

If anybody has any insight into this, I would greatly appreciate some feedback.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You shouldn't be taking ibuprofen in addition to the Plavix, so stop that now and go to acetaminophen. Plavix is not an absolute contraindication to dental surgery (which is what your ENT friend said, "a consideration"). Did the perio know you were taking Plavix, and did he tell you to take ibuprofen for pain relief? Either go back to the perio, or go for a proper consultation with an ENT so you can arrange tests or scans.

Vote:

Ask a Question