Sensodyne Toothpaste

Solutions
I thought I'd post about this in case others have had similar problems. I have been using Sensodyne products for several years now with no problems. However, recently I started developing a burning tongue and soreness inside my lips. I had an ulcer, then another, which is really unusual for me. I was really puzzled as to what was causing it as I hadn't changed my diet. I then realised that it was getting worse every time I brushed my teeth. The paste was really burning. I stopped using it and resumed using the "daily care" version. It got a lot better but now that version is also causing my mouth to burn. The ulcers have gone since I stopped using the Rapid Relief but there is something wrong here.

I looked online and apparently the manufacturer changed the formula earlier this year. Many others have complained of the same symptoms on social media. I was wondering whether anyone else has had any problems and whether dentists were aware of this issue. After all it's a top brand that most health professionals recommend to patients. Does anyone know which ingredient could trigger such a strong reaction? I'd like to avoid it in other brands.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
No idea. Perhaps you'll have to experiment with different brands and formulations. Look for a "Plain Toothpaste"; there's one called that here in Aust. that I give to dry mouth patients because it has no SLS; maybe there's something similar in UK.. Or even give up on toothpaste altogether for a while, just use a plain brush. My Dad used to make me brush with salt, but I couldn't do that nowadays!

Vote:
Solutions
Thanks MattKW, I was thinking of brushing with sonicare and water this morning, but tried the colgate total again and had none of the painful burning symptoms. I've never thought of brushing without paste prior to this, we are so used to using it that it seems very strange to go without.

Since I stopped using the Sensodyne "Rapid Relief" a couple of days ago everything seems to have healed. I was looking at an old tube that I bought in a pound store a few months ago and they have completely changed the formula. There is something called "PEG-8" that is a new major ingredient so perhaps that is causing the problem.

We don't have plain toothpaste in the UK but it's a real eye opener to look into some of the ingredients in paste. Some child pastes even contain non-biodegradable micrcobeads to make it look pretty on the brush...

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
We have a large naturopathic presence in the Pacific NW. Stores like Whole foods and local organic markets sell all-natural products. A well-known brand is called Tom's of Maine which is owned by Colgate. I'm not sure if the UK have markets like this. Downside is these products are 3 times more costly.

Vote:

Ask a Question