Sensitivity four weeks after amalgam fillings - to be expected?

Hi folks, hoping to get a professional opinion about what my level of concern should be about now.

I am relatively healthy, but had not been to the dentist for several years post-college (no insurance). I went about a month and a half ago for a check-up/cleaning and was told I had 5 cavities that needed fillings. I was given the option of white or silver and, when I asked, was told differences were primarily cost, durability, and cosmetic. Since all these were back teeth, I made the seemingly practical choice of cheaper and longer lasting.

So, four weeks ago I went in and had all the fillings done in one appointment. The dr. mentioned I might have some pain/discomfort due to swelling for a couple days after and could take OTC ibuprofen or another anti-inflammatory to help.

After the first couple days, I noticed intense sensitivity to hot/cold and pressure from chewing (reading online, this seems to be expected, fading eventually). Problem is, while it has decreased in intensity and is sometimes only a dull throbbing, it hasn't gone away completely...four weeks later.

Since these are all on my back teeth but distributed both sides, top and bottom, I can't avoid them while chewing. After eating, that dull throb will set in for about half-an-hour or so. Cold is an especially sharp pain, although I have learned to keep cold liquids away from direct contact.

I'm not sure if I should be concerned and call the office to have them check on these again or not. I now have a dental plan, but it is very limited, and any more work will be out of pocket. I'm tempted to wait it out to see if it eventually goes away, but don't want to risk worsening any potential problems.

From some of the reading I've done online, I know that the cold/heat sensitivity is expected initially and lasts varying degrees of time...but how long is too long?

I also read about fillings that are "high"...mine don't hurt with a normal bite, just when I'm chewing...can someone clarify if this still might be the cause?

I also read something about the amalgam will sometimes deteriorate around the edges, lengthening the sensitivity period, but as the material fills in that gap it should be fine...but the website wasn't quite clear and not sure how reputable...so more info there would be helpful.

Sorry for the length! Help is GREATLY appreciated.

Alice

Alice, posting new x-rays would greatly help. Before placing a filling, the doctor places a non conductor material in the cavity if it is deep. it helps with the sensitivity and in long term strengthens the tooth. If the filling is only in the enamel part and resting on the enamel and dentin junction- this area is very sensitive and the filling should be replaced with at least a 0.5mm deeper one.

Hope it helped Alice. Try tooth paste Presyze or Clove oil until you see your dentist.

Vote:

Ask a Question