Sensitivity after veneers

Hi Folks,
I have had 8 root canals over the years due to my excessive night grinding. My dentist advised that I go for veneers on all my teeth as they were worn down and to avoid further root canals. In January 2017 he started the procedure and my life has not been the same. The first sitting took 5 hours as he ground the top set and put temporary veneers. Every time I reacted badly to the injections in the sense I had palpitations and next day could not get out of bed with extreme weakness. Every session was a minimum of 3-4 hours with around 10 injections. Finally in April the permanent veneers were put. (In Feb I had to take a 3 week break from treatment as I got H1N1) . The top veneers gave no problems but the bottom ones have caused terrible sensitivity. Both my dentist and orthodontist insisted it was all fine and would settle. It never did. Around 1 week back two teeth in the bottom left (pre-molars) erupted in pain and I had to undergo extremely painful root canals. Now, even the top teeth are sensitive as well as all the root canal teeth. This has driven me insane and I am considering pulling out all my teeth especially as my dentist wants to do more root canals on the top teeth. Before the veneers I could eat well and had no sensitivity. Please help as my dentists swear all is well and ask me to 'calm down' 'take a painkiller' etc. Not interested in suppressing sensitivity but finding out the root cause. Please help as I am unable to have a normal life. Thank you

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
What country are you located in? Also to help you we would need to see some x-rays and a more accurate account of what exact teeth had what procedure done to them.
Dr. Barniv

Vote:
Hi Doc. Thank you for replying. I live in Bangalore, India. All my teeth were worked on to get them ready for the veneers. This involved grinding them down. As all my molars had undergone root canal earlier ( six of them) no work was done on them. I will try to get the exact details and x-rays from my dentist. My main concern and query is - what is the cause of so much sensitivity after what I was assured was a routine procedure before veneers? Both the uppers and lowers are still sensitive though my bite is normal. I have been advised two more root canals for the upper pre-molars as that seems to be the only solution for sensitivity. Thanks and look forward to your reply.

Vote:

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
Hi,
I am having second thoughts. Maybe you shouldn't get the x-rays and other info for me and this forum but instead to use to get another opinion by a competent dentist in India. It sounds like you have a complex situation and it would take a lot of effort to really understand everything going on and what should be done. I am not sure a remote diagnosis is really possible, unfortunately.
Dr. Barniv

Vote:

Ask a Question