root canal disaster

I had an infection on the last molar of the bottom teeth. Antibiotics didn't cure it, so was told I needed root canal treatment and was sent to endodontist. He recommended a three phase treatment - first drill out the root canals and pack with antibiotics to get rid of the infection - he saw pus at the base of one canal, then a second stage to presumably take out that and put a permanent filling in, and last what was called 'Permanent Restoration'. Fine so far... Had the first stage of treatment, and still had random pain, which would be sore for a couple of days and just as I was about to check up with the endodontist it would disappear, and so on...Went for the second stage of treatment last Thursday, at which he also completed the Permanent Restoration - this was not a crown. The problem tooth was part of a bridge, and the bridge was still in place after the treatment. Paid the bill - about $2500NZD for all treatment, and told to go back in a few months to have a final check. Today - Sunday - so 3 days after the final treatment, to top part of the tooth from the level of the gum and including the bridge next door, fell off!!!! How can this be. Should the fact that the original tooth was presumably not strong enough for the treatment have been obvious considering the sophisticate equipment the guy had, should a crown have been put on instead of presumably just the 'permanent resotoration' (have no idea what that actually means). I'm devasted and want to know - should this have happened, and what are the options going forward, and who should pay for the repair or whatever of the tooth.

Ask a Question