RCT How far is to far

Is it Standard procedure for a root canal procedure to drill through the end of the root and beyond. I was under the impression that the nerve was destroyed right up to the end of the root.

Halfway through my route canal an x-ray showed three files in place in my tooth. One of the three went through the end of my root and quite a ways into my, what I would imagine (with my limited knowledge) to be my jaw bone. (I took a picture of the xray, by the way. The file goes approximately half the entire height of the molar that was being worked on. 3/8inch). The oncologist looked at the xray and said "looks great" and we continued the RCT. I am began experiencing complications the very next day.
When i returned to the dentist seeking relief, the dentist told me that it's probably fractured as a result of having "ate something hard" and "I should have it removed". He went on to explain the procedure went off with out a hitch. He also assured me that "it is normal to remove the nerve beyond the tip of the root" (as the picture/Xray shows.
Thank you in advance for your time and expertise answer my question!
Dino

Dino,

It is completely normal for a file to go past the end of your tooth. The filing stage of root canal treatment (RCT) is to remove the nerve as well as any infection present. The important part is the final fill. Although the final fill can go slightly past the end of the tooth, dentists are trained to have the final fill material end right at the end of the tooth. If the final filling material (Gutta Percha is it's name) is significantly past the end of your tooth it can reduce the long term prognosis of the root canal.

Now, it is also very possible that the tooth has a crack in it, after RCT and before getting the permanent cap in place teeth are very fragile. If you are uneasy about the situation I would ask for your xrays (make sure the final xray is included) and get another dentist to look at it. They will be able to tell if the original root canal is completely over filled or if it is within reasonable limits. Hope this helps,

Garrett Fiorenza, DDS
www.fiorenzadentalgroup.com
Greenwood, IN

Vote:

Ask a Question