Is a post and core necessary after RCT of bicuspid tooth?

Best answers
Hi, so I am in the process of getting my teeth fixed and I got a root canal on #20 (see first image). My new dentist says that I need a post and core for it before getting a crown.

My question is that I got a RCT and crown on #20 earlier this year with another dentist (see second image), and that other dentist said that a post and core wasn't necessary and placed a crown on top.

What do you think is the best option for my recently operated tooth? I obviously want a crown that is long lasting, but I am afraid because I read that post and cores often involve taking out more tooth structure and can even result in increased tooth fracture rates.

Attachments

Ad

Advertisements

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Best answers
Premolars/bicuspids are small teeth. I much prefer to put in a post before a crown in these teeth in most cases.

Best answers
Premolars/bicuspids are small teeth. I much prefer to put in a post before a crown in these teeth in most cases.
Thanks for your reply! What do you think about the research that shows increased fracture rates with posts though? I don't mind the procedure as long as it's durable!

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Best answers
Thanks for your reply! What do you think about the research that shows increased fracture rates with posts though? I don't mind the procedure as long as it's durable!
Nothing comes without risks, so although I use posts in nearly every molar RCT, I use less in premolars, and less again in incisors. There's so many variables that go into a decision.

Ad

Advertisements

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Best answers
Dr. MattKW is right. There are so many variables. Unfortunately I've seen restorations fracture with or without posts. I do see increased root fractures with posts.

Ask a Question