Is a post and core necessary after RCT of bicuspid tooth?

Hi, so I am in the process of getting my teeth fixed and I got a root canal on #20 (see first image). My new dentist says that I need a post and core for it before getting a crown.

My question is that I got a RCT and crown on #20 earlier this year with another dentist (see second image), and that other dentist said that a post and core wasn't necessary and placed a crown on top.

What do you think is the best option for my recently operated tooth? I obviously want a crown that is long lasting, but I am afraid because I read that post and cores often involve taking out more tooth structure and can even result in increased tooth fracture rates.

Attachments

• X02788_10.jpg
    X02788_10.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 371
  • X02788_8.jpg
    X02788_8.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 324

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Premolars/bicuspids are small teeth. I much prefer to put in a post before a crown in these teeth in most cases.

Vote:
Premolars/bicuspids are small teeth. I much prefer to put in a post before a crown in these teeth in most cases.
Thanks for your reply! What do you think about the research that shows increased fracture rates with posts though? I don't mind the procedure as long as it's durable!

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Thanks for your reply! What do you think about the research that shows increased fracture rates with posts though? I don't mind the procedure as long as it's durable!
Nothing comes without risks, so although I use posts in nearly every molar RCT, I use less in premolars, and less again in incisors. There's so many variables that go into a decision.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Dr. MattKW is right. There are so many variables. Unfortunately I've seen restorations fracture with or without posts. I do see increased root fractures with posts.

Vote:

Ask a Question