Questions about Suggested Dental Proceedures

Good day all,

10 years ago, my lower right molar had cracked, I went to the dentist and he filled it. At that time he told me that I would experience some tingling because he had killed the nerve. He went on to say that it will be common for me to experience coldness or sensitivity in that area for the rest of my life in that area.

During the following decade, it was common every 8 months or so I would get a swelling in that area. I didn't think much of it at the time. Now fast forward 10 years, my new dentist did a basic exam and said that molar needs work because the color of it was black. When he removed the old filling he had found a cotton ball underneath the filling.

So after all these years, I finally found out what was causing all the problems.

Ultimately, he recommended a root canal, a build up, and a crown to save that molar. I tried saving money, but the tooth was falling apart and I finally got it removed. After the last visit, he recommended a regular cleaning, bitewings, removal of a wisdom tooth (that isn't causing any problems) and another evaluation. And every time I've gone in there, they have taken X-rays of my teeth, whether in groups or a panoramic. And now, he suggested that "we need to do something about that minor over bite." But I distinctly remember him telling my 2 years ago that the over bite isn't a problem. I will ask him next time I see him why the change in opinion.

The reader should keep in mind a few things about my last sentence, in that I'm 33. I've played saxophone for 24 years. And I say this because every saxophonist I know doesn't have a perfect bite or even close to it.

I agree with him about regular cleanings. But many of his other suggestions come across as unneeded. And the reader should keep in mind when replying or reading my above post that I have become SUPER skeptical when ever ANY doctor recommends something because of someone leaving a cotton ball in my molar.

So does any of this sound unnecessary?

I look forward to reading responses.

Thanks and take care.

TDDMS31

Ask a Question