Root Canal Questions

Hi Everyone.

I have a question. Let me give you a bit of background first.

I've had a toothache on my upper right teeth for 3 weeks. This past Thursday February 8th I saw an endodontist at my dentist's referral. The teeth are having the typical root canal symptoms, hot/cold sensitivity, constant toothache, throbbing toothache and pain with biting and chewing.

When I saw the endodontist he identified two teeth with the same symptoms. He told me that I would need a root canal treatment on one that day and we would see how the other tooth felt after. He asked me which one hurt most. Tooth #6, the canine tooth hurt worse so we did the root canal treatment on #6 on the 8th. He said that the tooth might be tender and be sensitive to chewing for about a week. I understand this as I have had root canal treatments previously. I have been taking Ibuprofen for the post procedure pain.

I know it's only been a short time and the tooth #6 that just had a root canal treatment feels fine. It's just the usual tenderness you expect after the procedure.

The other tooth #5, a premolar has been hurting all along and has not improved and is still having the same symptoms.

My question is, is it too soon to call the Endodontist's office on Monday to schedule another consultation and treatment on #5?

Or do I need to wait for the week to be up after #6's treatment to let it calm down?

I can tell the difference that now I'm having two types of pain in two different teeth. I expect #6 to continue to improve because it only has the tenderness from after the procedure and no more root canal symptoms.

But, tooth #5 still has the same root canal symptoms and I'm afraid if I wait it will get worse if I wait.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

JJ

Thank you for your reply and support. I did call the endodontist and scheduled another appointment. He said if the tooth continues to hurt that it will need a root canal treatment also.

I wasn't given antibiotics, but I did get pain medication from my dentist.

JJ

Vote:
Solutions
perhaps they should have given antibiotics to deal with any infection. It takes a while for pain to go. Are you having the teeth crowned?

Vote:
The tooth that already had a root canal treatment feels fine. No it does not need a crown.

The second tooth I'm having a root canal treatment on it this coming Thursday 2/22/18 and it is still hurting. This tooth will need a crown later on.

JJ

Vote:
Solutions
So when they did the root treatment on the first tooth did they leave it a few days with a temp filling before putting in the root filling or did they fill in one appointment?

Vote:
Solutions
When I had treatment I had a temp filling put in which included some sort of antiseptic to give the tooth a chance to let out anything that's inside. The permanent filling was put in a week later.

Vote:
Solutions
My endodontist did it as a matter of course. The last RCT I had was 18 years ago and his canals haven't failed yet. I'm asking because it seems there's residual infection in your teeth. You didn't have a temp filling and you didn't have antibiotics. Now you need another root treatment.

Vote:

Ask a Question