Question on brushing my second molar after a wisdom tooth extraction

I just extracted my bottom left wisdom tooth (3rd molar) about 3 and a half days ago.i started brushing my tooth on day 2 of the post-op.

So far, I am using a normal toothbrush to brush the rest of my teeth. But for my second molar, which is the teeth right next to the empty gaping hole where my ex-wisdom tooth used to be, I bought a children's junior-sized toothbrush to gently brush the area, but with little effect or sucess.

How am I supposed to exactly keep clean the area around the extracted hole?

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I like this toothbrush by Sunstar. It has a "Super Tip" that can help clean the back. Usually the surgeon will put stitches to close any large extraction holes. It is very important you don't disturb or traumatize the area to allow for healing. As long as you don't traumatize the area, expect normal to fast healing times unless you have medical conditions like uncontrolled diabetes.

Attachments

• GUMSuperTipToothbrush461.png
    GUMSuperTipToothbrush461.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 6

Vote:
I like this toothbrush by Sunstar. It has a "Super Tip" that can help clean the back. Usually the surgeon will put stitches to close any large extraction holes. It is very important you don't disturb or traumatize the area to allow for healing. As long as you don't traumatize the area, expect normal to fast healing times unless you have medical conditions like uncontrolled diabetes.
Hi, thank you very much for your help and advice.

Very sorry to bother you again but I have some questions about the healing process with regards to the "hole" itself?

1) the hole, whenever I look at a mirror and shine a torchlight on it, is like a cave. What actually happens to it when it heals? Will the entrance of the hole seal up, leaving an empty space inside, along with any food particles trapped inside? Or will the "floor" of the hole eventually push outwards?
2) I see many online suggestions to just leave the food particles in the hole where it is. Is that safe? Won't the food decay and cause an infection?
3) is it possible to tell if a food particle is trapped inside a hole? Currently, I have this odd sensation that i have a piece of food trapped inside but I can't tell if it's my imagination/paranoia, because whenever I shine a torchlight and look at the mirror, all I see is this hole with an endless bottom soaked in the colour black.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Those questions are very legitimate. If you think you may have some trapped debris, rinse gently with warm salt water. Try not to disturb the area. Usually the mouth heals uneventfully. If you have pain and or swelling, you need to get followup from the surgeon.

Vote:

Ask a Question