Root planning and scaling question

Hey guys. I have mild/moderate tinnitus and hyperacusis due to noise exposure that has been diagnosed by an ent.

Recently, my dentist told me that I have gingivitis and that I needed root planning and scaling done and that it would take place in 2 sessions. I had the first of two sessions done last week and the ultrasonic scaler (I think that's the name of what the hygienist was using) made my tinnitus and ear sensitivity worsen.

I called them today asking if for the second session they could not use the ultrasonic scaler and they told me that they couldn't really and that wearing earplugs might help. The thing is is that it's mainly the vibrations that cause my ears to hurt, not the noise from the actually device itself.

I definitely want to get my gums healthy but I also really don't want to worsen my ears anymore than they already are. Is it true that I can't have scaling and root planning done without an ultrasound scaler? I was gonna call around to see what other dentists in my area think but I figured I'd post here first. Thanks for any advice and thanks if you've read this far!

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day
Although ultrasonic scalers is the most common scaler used these days, you can ask the dentist to rather use hand instruments. Root planing is often done with hand instruments only.

Vote:

Ask a Question