Question about root canal re-treatment

Hi Everyone,

I have a root canal that was done some 20 years ago. For the first 15yrs or so it did not have a crown on it. Recently it has been getting infected and causing immense pain. I then go to the dentist, they prescribe antibiotic, the pain goes away for a month or so, then in comes back. My dentist referred me out to a Endodontist to look at it, and he recommended re-treatment. The Endodontist said that during the re-treatment, the tooth could break which would require me to have it extracted.

My question is... how often does a break or fracture happen during re-treatment? Does the likelihood go up because of how long the tooth has been root canaled?

The tooth is #19 from what i'm told, i've already had the one behind it pulled. If this one gets pulled, I don't have any chewing on that side anymore. I don't have 4 grand for an implant and I don't see how they could do a bridge with no tooth behind it...

Is it worth it? what options do I have?

Thank you for your time and advice. :D
-David

Ask a Question