Root Canal Treatment question?

Hi,

Recently I went to the dentist and got a filling after a chip developed in my second molar upper tooth and I was having some pain. The dentist took the whole insides of the tooth out, examined the insides of the tooth and put in a temporary filling . I came back after a month, the dentist looked at it again, saw no infection, and gave me a white filling. Its all I could budget for. The dentist said I would have to look at a root canal treatment if I want a better solution.

I left the dentist still with some pain but a great deal less pain than I had before the filling. Basically if i chew on the upper 2nd molar now I still get some sharp nerve soreness but i can use the other side of my mouth and its an OK fix for the short term.

Will a root canal treatment solve my soreness on the same tooth ? It's like a sharp sore nerve but its something that can wait several months but worth it to get fixed. I want to know what exactly would I have to get done, like would I need a crown afterwards or will filling do ? Maybe filling is too soft ?

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
He "saw no infection"? You look for cracks maybe under a filling, but infection is determined by pulp tests (usually cold sprays) or sometimes X-rays. White fillings have a greater chance of post-op pain than amalgams, so I'd suggest maybe replacing it with a good amalgam. Honestly, the only really significant advantage of a composite over an amalgam is the colour. Would you rather have a car with a dodgy paint job but trouble-free motor (amalg), or a flashy outside and a temperamental engine (comp)? I'm not saying you can't do good comps, but if someone comes in with a touchy tooth, I'd prefer not to take the risk of worsening it with a composite.

Vote:
Solutions
I wish dentists still used amalgam in the UK but many have completely stopped. I hate composite but it's the only option in many cases. The EU are trying to ban amalgam because of the mercury content. The BDA are fighting a full ban but it's expected to be phased out by 2030.

Vote:
The dentist did recommend dark filling for the molar but I went for white, looking back I should have went for something stronger than white.

They quoted me R.C.T today for €500, including a filling. So I'm going to get that at some stage. I just wonder, will that cure the localised pain under the tooth, it's a bit difficult trying to describe it to a dentist, even after an x Ray.

Vote:
Solutions
I'd get a second opinion. You might have a crack. I don't understand why he did a temporary filling, was it because you didn't want to spend money on a filling and then find you needed more work? How did you feel when you had the temporary filling? Was it better or worse than now?

Vote:
He did a temporary filling to wait a month and see how I was getting along. He wanted to see if there was any infection or any other teeth affected. After a month it was just a bit better all round.

The temporary filling was actually quiet good and I thought the white filling would be an improvement again, but the temporary filling and white filling are about the same but I had real pain the day I got the white filling, ultra sensitive.

I could see another dentist and ask them about it but its sometimes hard to describe it to a dentist in the dental surgery

Vote:
Solutions
You should only have a root treatment if there is an infection present and if that's the case the sooner the better.

If you go to another dentist tell them that you want to know if there are any signs of an infection in the root and get them to test the tooth to see if there is any sign of a crack. Don't tell them what the other dentist has said, just tell them your symptoms so they can make a totally objective examination. Do not have a root treatment unless there is a clear infection present. Try cheaper and less invasive options first.

If there is no sign of infection on examination and x ray then it's worth asking for the filling to be replaced as Matt has suggested. Or it may be worth getting an onlay to protect the tooth if the dentist suspects there may be a crack. When the dentist opens up the tooth they should be able to see if there is a crack and whether it goes beyond the gum margin.

It's possible that if you wait a few weeks the tooth may settle on its own. It's possible it's a bit high in one area and adjusting that bit down might help. It could be that when they etched the tooth before placing the filling they irritated the nerve with the acid. That can settle in two to three months. It's worth waiting a little longer before having any work done, but get the second opinion about 6 to 8 weeks after the white filling was placed. By then you should be able to see signs of an infection if it's there.

Vote:
I'm going to wait a little longer before I do anything and get a second opinion as you suggest. Thanks for the useful advice, it's very helpful hearing feedback!

Vote:

Ask a Question