Question about pain after RC retreatment and about VRF

A molar with a prior root canal developed a new abscess at one of the root tips and was retreated. At a four-month recall, the endodontist took a CBCT and showed me (by comparing to the prior CBCT) how the bone around the tooth has been healing nicely. However, I have had two bad episodes of pain during these four months, each lasting about two weeks, one about a month and a half after the retreatment, and one another month and a half after that. My question is, what causes this pain if the retreatment apparently succeeded in sealing off the tooth such that the body got the infection under control and started healing the bone around it?

Also, I was wondering, if I were to have developed a VRF, how long does it take before one would see an obvious sign of fracture (like a j-shaped radiolucency) on a CBCT?

Thanks

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It depends. Sometimes the signs of a VRF can take more than a month to see any signs on a CBCT. There comes a point where you will have to make a choice-leaving the tooth as is and live with the random bouts of pain, or you would need to consider alternatives such as extraction with implant placement. In my opinion, all root canal treated teeth, eventually fail. I would not spend thousands on a tooth that won't last me 10years.

Vote:
A molar with a prior root canal developed a new abscess at one of the root tips and was retreated. At a four-month recall, the endodontist took a CBCT and showed me (by comparing to the prior CBCT) how the bone around the tooth has been healing nicely. However, I have had two bad episodes of pain during these four months, each lasting about two weeks, one about a month and a half after the retreatment, and one another month and a half after that. My question is, what causes this pain if the retreatment apparently succeeded in sealing off the tooth such that the body got the infection under control and started healing the bone around it?

Also, I was wondering, if I were to have developed a VRF, how long does it take before one would see an obvious sign of fracture (like a j-shaped radiolucency) on a CBCT?

Thanks
How long it takes for a J-shape lesions to show up? I read [in peer-reviewed articles] from a minimum of 2-3 months up to several years.

Vote:

Ask a Question