Persitent pain despite clean CBCT on root canal

I had two root canals on two necrotic teeth. The teeth were painful due to small cavity fillings which caused pulpal necrosis for some reason. Something in the process damaged the nerve.

There never was any leasion or cold sensitivity or pressure sensitivity before the RC's, just deep ache. The RC's took the deep strong ache away and were absolutely necessary. It has been 12 months and I'm giving up.

However the two molars remain painful on and off. The pain is dull, sometimes deep, whining. There is no burning or throbbing. I had a second opinion and this endo does not want to retreat as he says this will not help as the endo's look well. There is some sealer extrusion around both apexes. According to the Dentist that did the root canal (Dentist who does complex rc's and retreats, not formally an endo). The sealer puff cannot cause this pain. The 2nd opinion said it is very unlikely however it could cause irritation.

- the upper premolar cannot take strong pressure - normal chewing is fine but chewing during diagnostic testing was very painful. The lower molar was ok. Both are sensitive to percussion.

I was warned for extraction as it could be neuralgia but I feel like it does not fully fit that label- there were interval of 3-4 months that I was almost pain free. However the fact that the teeth become avital after such small fillings show damage have been done.

Is EXT the next step? 2nd opinion endo does not want to retreat. The initial Dentist who did the RC's said my pain does not add up and I should be out of pain. Occlusion was adjusted twice.

I welcome any input, thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240205-112029_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240205-112029_Drive.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240205-112227_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240205-112227_Gallery.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240205-112206_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240205-112206_Gallery.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 1

Ask a Question