Is a silver amalgam supposed to last longer than 5 years? I had tooth pain in an area where two cavities were filled.

I had two cavities (they are between two molars) fixed approximately 7 years ago. And I had this pain in the same area again for a while. When it comes back, it usually lasts a while. The pain comes and goes. Usually after eating.

I'm just wondering if it's unusual for a cavity to just come back from this kind of filling after only 7 years. I realize it could be something else. But I'm just asking is if it's typical for this to happen. And if so, should I use a better filling? Can they do something different from amalgam. I'm asking what should I ask the new dentist for just in case if they confirm it's a bad amalgam filling?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
There are alternatives available for amalgam fillings, but the pain might be unrelated to the filling. The filling might be deep, or close the nerve, or there might even be decay in another area. Best is to go for a check up with your dentist.

Vote:

Ask a Question