Cant open mouth much and painful

I’m scared .. I’m think I was given too much anesthetic .. I suspect novacaine for one tooth area and half of my face was numb. It will be 2 weeks this Thursday since I had metal filling removed and enamel replaced. I’m not sure if bruised or what since my mouth was open for 2 hrs 25 min not I felt some kind of metal sticking me in the area that’s numb while my mouth was open and work being done.
Seems everyday my mouth might be opening a little more but I’m basically living on soup and scrambled eggs. I’m hoping I eventually will be normal again but have read if it’s too much anesthesia or he hit nerve it could take 8 weeks for normalcy.
In meantime I’m not sure what to do?
I’m taking prednisone thinking if area is inflamed it may help.
Has anyone experienced something like this?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I doubt you were given too much anaesthetic. I think rather the nerve was bruised. This does sometimes happen, since everyone's anatomy is different. It sounds like it is getting better and the prednisone should help with any inflammation of the associated muscles. Try doing some mouth-opening exercises and be patient.

Vote:

Ask a Question