Periodontitis and the Bonner method

Hello everybody. I was diagnosed with severe periodontitis earlier this year and the periodontist I've been referred to uses the Bonner method. This method is not commonly used (in the UK, it's not practiced at all) and so I'm a little concerned. Researching it, it's seems an effective method so I guess I just wondered why it is so uncommon.

Edit: a link to a research study if anyone wants more detail

Last edited:
Ad

Advertisements

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
There are not a lot of peer reviewed literature, but since this method is minimally invasive, it has a lot of promise. Since it requires a lot of behind the scene work, I believe the treatment may be pricey. If you can wait, I'll inquire a couple of periodontists on their opinions.

Vote:
That's interesting. I've started the treatment now, with only the final cleaning stage (ultrasound) to go. Not a lot I can do now. Sadly, I was totally unaware this was not the usual course of treatment when I was referred by my dentist. Guess I'll just have to hope for the best!

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Since you started, I would continue. In the past I've encountered a lot of experiences totally contrary to others' opinions. I would just be aware of unknown costs or procedures.

Vote:
Thanks for your advice. Costs and procedures are known, outlined in advance, so there ought be no surprises. To be honest, I've had nothing but good experiences so far. The team are professional and courteous, and there are plenty of other patients! I've no reason to doubt the practice.

My concern was more of the methodology and why, despite it being around for years, it not being overly popular. I know there a number of periodontists using the Bonner method in the US, Australia and parts of Europe - not the UK though, where it's not authorised by the British Dental Association. As a patient, it's just a little intriguing.

Vote:
Ad

Advertisements

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
According to my Periodontist, the guy Bonner from Canada could never provide solid evidence to the American Academy of Periodontology. As long as all the costs and procedures are transparent (no hidden fine prints), you should just follow through their treatment.

Vote:
Ad

Advertisements

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Sorry, my other Periodontist source says the same thing. Since you can't back out now, and you're fine with the costs, just finish it and if the results are good then you benefit greatly.

Vote:

Ask a Question