Periodontitis and the Bonner method

Hello everybody. I was diagnosed with severe periodontitis earlier this year and the periodontist I've been referred to uses the Bonner method. This method is not commonly used (in the UK, it's not practiced at all) and so I'm a little concerned. Researching it, it's seems an effective method so I guess I just wondered why it is so uncommon.

Edit: a link to a research study if anyone wants more detail

Last edited:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
There are not a lot of peer reviewed literature, but since this method is minimally invasive, it has a lot of promise. Since it requires a lot of behind the scene work, I believe the treatment may be pricey. If you can wait, I'll inquire a couple of periodontists on their opinions.

Vote:
That's interesting. I've started the treatment now, with only the final cleaning stage (ultrasound) to go. Not a lot I can do now. Sadly, I was totally unaware this was not the usual course of treatment when I was referred by my dentist. Guess I'll just have to hope for the best!

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Since you started, I would continue. In the past I've encountered a lot of experiences totally contrary to others' opinions. I would just be aware of unknown costs or procedures.

Vote:
Thanks for your advice. Costs and procedures are known, outlined in advance, so there ought be no surprises. To be honest, I've had nothing but good experiences so far. The team are professional and courteous, and there are plenty of other patients! I've no reason to doubt the practice.

My concern was more of the methodology and why, despite it being around for years, it not being overly popular. I know there a number of periodontists using the Bonner method in the US, Australia and parts of Europe - not the UK though, where it's not authorised by the British Dental Association. As a patient, it's just a little intriguing.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
According to my Periodontist, the guy Bonner from Canada could never provide solid evidence to the American Academy of Periodontology. As long as all the costs and procedures are transparent (no hidden fine prints), you should just follow through their treatment.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Sorry, my other Periodontist source says the same thing. Since you can't back out now, and you're fine with the costs, just finish it and if the results are good then you benefit greatly.

Vote:
I was diagnosed in Nov 2021 and told I would lose all my teeth within 10 years and there was nothing I could do about it. I went to see Dr Bonner in Quebec Canada in Dec 2021. I started on his program in Jan 2022, working in conjunction with my "home" dentist. In Jan 2023 I returned to Dr Bonner and I am cured. My "home" dentist is amazed. I feel it is a miracle. And far less expensive than having teeth pulled.

Thank you for your comments Hooley. It's good to hear of your success, and knowing that your own actions will have been a good part of the reason for that success, I think I can say 'well done you'!!!

For the record, I too have now completed my course of treatment (the cleaning and flossing obviously never stops) and am also free of the infection. Pockets have closed up and teeth are more stable. I still have concerns over a couple of teeth (much better than it was, 19 were at risk originally) but my oral health is loads better. Whether those results would have been achieved (or bettered) with a periodontist practicing 'standard' methods, I obviously can't say BUT I certainly have no complaints about the Bonner method.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The "Bonner method" is still undergoing analysis. It should be noted that the role of parasites in periodontal disease has been debated since as early as 1849.
In the most recent and widespread evaluation of the role of parasites within periodontal disease, Parasites in Periodontal Health and Disease: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis (2022), the authors noted, "It is noteworthy that the definition of periodontitis greatly varies between the studies... For instance, in the Bonner study [2014] patients could be at any stage of the disease...It is too early to determine the role of the parasites in the pathophysiology of periodontitis, but their presence is undoubted and unequivocal...Future studies will determine which part they take in the pathophysiology of the disease and if they are bona fide prognosis markers and possible targets to control the disease."
That was reached after looking at 1200 studies related to parasites only, not including other known micro-organisms such as bacteria, viruses, and fungi. So, the jury is still out and there is nothing firm to suggest that his particular approach is any better than standard perio treatment.

Vote:
Thank you for your comments Hooley. It's good to hear of your success, and knowing that your own actions will have been a good part of the reason for that success, I think I can say 'well done you'!!!

For the record, I too have now completed my course of treatment (the cleaning and flossing obviously never stops) and am also free of the infection. Pockets have closed up and teeth are more stable. I still have concerns over a couple of teeth (much better than it was, 19 were at risk originally) but my oral health is loads better. Whether those results would have been achieved (or bettered) with a periodontist practicing 'standard' methods, I obviously can't say BUT I certainly have no complaints about the Bonner method.
Hi, I live in the UK. How do I find a dentist who does the Bonner method?

Do I need to go to Canada or is there a closer dentist?

Thanks

Vote:
Hi, I live in the UK. How do I find a dentist who does the Bonner method?

Do I need to go to Canada or is there a closer dentist?

Thanks
It's my understanding that you won't find one in the UK as the British Dental Association has not approved the Bonner method. So unless dentists are allowed to practice in the UK without BDA approval, you'll have to hop over to Europe or further afield to the US or, as you say, Canada.

Even then, they're not commonplace. I've not seen a list of them anywhere but you could web search or contact the 'Institut International de Parodontie' (Bonner's training centre in Nice, France). to see if there is someone across the channel.

I knew nothing about Bonner and just happened by chance to be referred to a dentist who practiced the method. Even my own dentist, who referred me, wasn't aware that he was referring me to someone who used the Bonner method! As I say, they're rare.

Both Bonner and the more practiced/accepted method aim to get to the same place, they just go different routes. I'd guess a lot of people might prefer the more 'natural' and non-invasive claims of Bonner.

Vote:
The Bonner Method is a non-traditional approach to treating periodontal disease that is completed over the course of approximately twelve months.The method mainly targets the elimination of pathogens, including amoebae from the infected pockets, and the lowering of motile bacterial activity below 1%.
The Bonner Method was developed by Dr. Mark Bonner from Canada, assisted by Solange Dunoyé from France, and is based on the original works of Dr. Weston Price.The method includes microscopic visualization of the biofilm in all examinations and all appointments for the periodontal therapy protocol.
While the Bonner Method is not commonly used, it has been shown to be effective in treating periodontal disease.The Bonner Method analyzes the plaque at a microscopic level to understand the patient's specific disease and correlate it with their overall health.
It is important to note that while the Bonner Method may not be commonly used, it has been shown to be effective in treating periodontal disease. If you have concerns about the method, it is recommended to discuss them with your periodontist.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
But not better than traditional approaches, just sounds more "pioneering" and therefore appealing to the layperson.

Vote:
I was diagnosed in Nov 2021 and told I would lose all my teeth within 10 years and there was nothing I could do about it. I went to see Dr Bonner in Quebec Canada in Dec 2021. I started on his program in Jan 2022, working in conjunction with my "home" dentist. In Jan 2023 I returned to Dr Bonner and I am cured. My "home" dentist is amazed. I feel it is a miracle. And far less expensive than having teeth pulled.

Vote:
Hi Hooley,
You gave me hope! My daughter is only 20 years old and was diagnosed with periodontitis, I would go ahead and get her appointment right away with a periodontist here in Los Angeles that treats patients with the Bonner Method. Please reply and share more of your miracle!

Vote:
Hi @bledisloe, would you be able to recommend the same doctor from the UK? Like you and others I'm having a hard time finding someone who practices the Bonner method. I contacted the 'Institut International de Parodontie' and they gave me a list of around 5 doctors in France but I'd prefer to go somewhere in London or the UK if possible. Can you please reach out when you get a chance and we can discuss more about it? Many thanks.

Vote:
I'm sorry @Tudor but I doubt you'll find one in the UK because the British Dental Association has not approved the Bonner method for use there, and I don't think dentists can practice in the UK without BDA approval.

Vote:
My apologies @Tudor, just now rereading your post I think I might have misunderstood your question.

I'm in France and so the dentist I saw is probably on the list of names you have. I would recommend them but I don't know if that's what you are asking me.

Vote:

Ask a Question