Pain!!

Worst pain ever! Broken tooth for a long time, no infection but finally had it removed. Dentist said I needed an oral surgeon. Also said I needed insurance pre-approval and could be 5-7 business days. Ended up in ER for pain while waiting. Five days later I call back and am told to call insurance. Six days and I call insurance and they tell me that's not true, I don't need approval. They give me names of all oral surgeons in area. I call all of them and none can see me sooner than a month from now. I call dentist back and tell them. They tell me they have same names to give me. I ask for an emergency referral. I can't wait a month in so much pain. They said to come in on Saturday (4 days) and the dentist that comes in once a month and does extractions can look at it and see if he can do it. I go in and he said he can. It took him 17 tries to numb me. (40 minutes) He begins by sanding the tooth to flat with the gum??? And I still felt pain so he numbs it a few more times and leaves 20 minutes. He comes back WiTHOUT a hygienist. He holds the suction, drill, and other tool by himself. The suction chokes me several times. I choked on tooth fragments. My tongue kept falling back and stopping my breathting. This went on for 40 minutes. He finally gets frustrated and gets help. The hygienist has no clue when he asks for this tool or that so he keeps leaving to find tools in other rooms. Apparently he is frustrated the root on one side won't come out. My mouth on the one side is shredded. The hole is huge. I have blood pouring down my cheek. Numbness is wearing off. He then does something and said, "I got it." He requests an xray. They say it's gone and send me to front desk. The receptionist said he is out of script paper so I will need to come back Monday to get scripts for antibiotic and pain help. 2 DAYS! ?? They gave me gauze. I was upset so they printed scripts on regular paper and said try a small pharmacy or like Wal-Mart or something because most won't take it without script paper. I tried- I was desperate. No one took it. I went to ER and got help. (Antibiotic and 8 Percocet) They were surprised as well. Went back on Monday because the pain was horrible. (12 Percocet) Thought dry socket or infection. Dentist that day (different one) said the xray taken Saturday showed root left inside and it would cause pain. She also said wait a month or so and it should come out or fuse into the bone. ?? I left sad/mad. Three more days and I cant handle the pain. I call every oral surgeon I find in directory- even if I am not covered...they say I need to be seen asap BUT none can get me in for minimum of 5 weeks. I take the one that can at least do xray and consult in ten days.I cannot even explain how bad it hurts. Its so bad I can't tell if it's causing me a headache. I get migraines and my head hurts but the mouth masks the pain in my head...and it's one of those headaches I worry will cripple me if I'm not careful. I end up back in the ER and they don't see infection so they send me home with Tylenol 3. I've been on Chlindomiacin since Monday. They don't see any exposed area so assume no dry socket. The next evening not even two Percocet took the pain away. (I have 6 left because I wasnt able to take them during the day. I have three kids and drive one to and from school.) Today I woke with a 2 large abscess. One almost covering the hole and one on the root surface of tooth behind it. The pain is just so unbearable and I have five more days for the OS appointment. Should I wait? Worry? Go back to ER? I'm losing my mind. I am NOT one who likes taking any pills. The antibiotic is making me have horrible acid reflux. I have hypothyroidism and that's been out of sorts for a year, I am suppose to have a hysterectomy in a month for several fibroids, I injured my rotary cuff three months ago, and those use to be my only worry. I don't even care about any of it right now. Should I be worried about osteomyelitis? I feel this dentist was incompetent and negligence is a factor. I know if I had a witness or camera taping him-- I'd have discriminating evidence against him.

Ask a Question