Jaw Pain

Hi,

I’m kind of desperate and I didn’t really know who else could help at this point, so I figured I’d give this a shot. My senior year of high school I had some jaw problems where I’d wake up in the morning and my jaw would be really sore and whenever I chewed or opened it to a certain extent it would pop and click, sometimes painfully. It was annoying but I kind of just learned to deal with it. Then, this August, I had my wisdom teeth removed and since then my jaw problems have worsened. My jaw hurts to move in pretty much any direction. I can’t open my mouth very wide anymore. One side of my jaw usually hurts more than one, but the side switches all the time. Sometimes I'll wake up and my left side will hurt really bad, and other mornings it'll be the right side. Right now, I’m worried because my bite seems off. I can tell that something is different and wrong, but I’m not exactly sure what. It’s like the molars in the back right side of my mouth don’t touch together anymore, and when I try to bite down on that side of my mouth it hurts SO bad. I can’t even chew on that side of my mouth right now. I went to see a dentist about this at the beginning of September and they said it could be TMJ so I had a night bite guard made, but it’s basically just a clear, very thin retainer for my top teeth and it has done absolutely nothing. I am so frustrated and I don’t know how much more of this I can take. I just want my jaw to go back to normal. Can someone please tell me what’s wrong with my mouth? Thank you.

- Julie Pearce

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
I would ask the oral surgeon who did the extractions for help. Also, a well adjusted night guard is the key to success. If your dentist handed you the device and said 'bye', that is not a well-adjusted night guard. It usually takes 30min or more of adjustments to fine tune it to your joint and then it might help you.
Dr. Barniv

Vote:

Ask a Question