Upper Jaw Pain and Facial Numbness

I had a lower molar extracted on the left side about 30 days ago .. about 2 weeks ago I started having numbness on the whole left side of my face and EXTREME upper jaw pain, it hurts to chew and even yawn. I have never had a tooth extracted so I am not sure if this is part of the normal healing process. My dentist did tell me that the roots were extremely long and he had to do ALOT of pulling to get both roots all the way out.

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
Is the numbness just on your lower left chin and lip or on your upper lip and cheek as well? Overall, your symptoms do not sound normal for 30 days post treatment. I would wonder if you have contacted your dentist yet?
Dr. Barniv

Vote:
No .. It is my upper jaw almost right at the joint where the upper and lower jaw meet and the numbness is my whole left cheek almost to my ear but not my chin at all

Vote:

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
Leona, this sounds like something associated with your jaw joint which is near your ear. It is unusual to feel numbness after a difficult extraction but it can happen. If the doctor presses very hard against your jaw during the extraction, it can cause aggravate the joint and cause problems.It's impossible to diagnose you in a forum. You need to make an appointment to have the doctor evaluate you. If this doctor was not an oral surgeon, then I would definitely consult one.

Vote:

Ask a Question