Jaw Pain After Fillings

Three weeks ago, I went into my dentist for a routine scheduled cleaning, where they found I needed 3 cavity fillings. So, the next day, I went back and had them filled all in one day (it only took about 2 hours). All of the fillings were done on my back molars, both sides, and one was really deep and getting close to the nerve.

I went home, and as the numbing wore off I took an ibuprofen to relieve the pain. Ever since then, I have had pain radiating in my jaw. It is the worst at night, usually waking me up in the middle of the night, making me take more ibuprofen. The pain killers work. I have to take one around 2:30PM in the afternoon, and one in the middle of the night around 2:00AM. The pain is in my jaw, not my teeth. It almost feels like the jaw muscle itself. Sometimes it even comes with an ear ache. I have no sensitivity to hot or cold, and it does not hurt when I chew, bite, or open and close my mouth wide. It is a very dull ache that becomes more active at night. When I wake up in the morning, it doesn't hurt at all.

After two weeks, I called my dentist explaining the pain I have been feeling, and went in for a check in my bite. They did take some off my bite; however, it did not relieve the pain. They thought I might need a root canal in the tooth with the deep filling, and said to wait a week and give us a call if it gets worse. That night, it was bad! The pain in my jaw was excruciating! So in the morning I called them, and scheduled a root canal for the next day.

The next night before the root canal, I didn't have any pain. I didn't even have to take pain killers, but I went in for the root canal anyway just to talk to them. After explaining everything again, we did some tests and x-rays. The x-rays came back positive, nothing was wrong. The cold and hot test was normal, meaning no sensitivity. My bite was fine, they had already corrected it. They canceled the root canal, since there were no obvious signs of needing one.

Their diagnosis was that I have jaw pain from having my mouth open from the fillings. They said call back in a week if the pain is still hurting, and we will prescribe an night guard.

I still have pain, especially at night. What is the cause of it? I have heard of TMD, but that hurts when you bite. Please help me. Thank you!

Ask a Question