Jaw Pain

I was fitted for a crown a couple of weeks ago, and gradually started to develop jaw pain that has increased in frequency and intensity (every 6 hours or so is another sharp pain). It has woken me up in the middle of the night, to which ibuprofen and an ice pack can usually do the trick to relieve the pain and get me back to sleep within 20-30 minutes, but it has been an annoying occurrence since it happens throughout the day as well. I attribute it to original procedure as the dentist and team kept pointing out I have a small mouth and had to keep it open for a couple hours during the procedure. They also indicated the anasthetic injections are neuromuscular and that can trigger jaw pain as well.

I went back to the dentist to get the crown placed in, only to realize that the original crown did not fit and so I had to go through the same procedure all over again much to my dismay. I patiently sat through it though, because I didn't have a choice and they were already well underway. I'm just concerned that my jaw pain was getting worse before today, and then I had to go through the same procedure that triggered the pain in the first place while it was already pretty sore. The team suggested I continue with a higher dose of ibupforen, salt water rinses, and cold water packs around the jaw. I'm pretty frustrated though and in a lot of pain. Now I have to go back yet again in a few weeks and hope the crown works the next go-round. Otherwise, this keeps triggering the pain over and over. Any advice?

Ask a Question