Is this a toxic environment for a dentist?

Is this a toxic environment for a dentist?

I am posting on behalf of my significant other who is a dentist, who is struggling with daily interactions / environment of the clinic that my SO is currently working at.

My SO is a new general dentist who started at this office 2-months ago. Here are some things I’ve heard:

-Another dentist “asked” my SO to do an exam for her / do other procedures to “improve your skills” when this other dentist was just a peer and not a mentor.

-The assistants at the clinic are unable to take X-rays properly (among other tasks they cannot do, which I can’t remember) and were asking if my SO could do those procedures instead.

-There is a general shortage of assistants, and sometimes the assistants arrive later/leave earlier than the dentists which leaves my SO and other dentists without an assistant when there are still patients

-The assistants think it is normal for my SO to “assist” other doctors if there aren’t enough assistants.

-The office manager was fired recently for committing fraud, and the regional manager is covering down in the meantime but has been struggling to find a replacement / getting additional assistants.

-My SO is young (in the mid-late 20s) and basically everyone else in the clinic are somewhere from 40-70yo.

-One of the assistants openly asked if they can call my SO by the first name instead of “doctor” since she is “too old for this shit” and has kids the age of my SO.

-Other assistants opt to refer to my SO and another young dentist as “Doctor boy/girl(s)”.

There is a lot more to say beyond these points, but my SO feels like there is a general atmosphere of disrespect from the assistants / other doctor as well as lack of empathy from the corporate.
I think my SO really thinks that they view my SO as young and don’t give the proper respect / decency respected in interactions between assisants or peer doctor to another doctor

We want my SO to quit, but we want to know if these situations are something we should anticipate in clinics in general. Thank you for the help.

Last edited:

Ask a Question