Is it possible for a wisdom tooth socket/hole to never close from the top?

I'm a bit worried because there's still a small hole 10 weeks after extraction. The healing process might've been slowed down because I mistakenly dislodged the blood clot on day one by gently rinsing my mouth before reading the instructions not to do that. I only wanted to get rid of some of the blood taste.
The bleeding stopped after I placed fresh gauze on it several times, which created a blob of blood on top of the hole.
I assumed this was a new blood clot and I left it alone from then on. Eventually this blood clot just disappeared along with the sutures, and a hole remained visible. Thankfully there was only mild pain, so no dry socket.
Is there some point where you'd say that the hole isn't going to close? Like 4 months or something? Or does it just take much longer to heal in some cases?
I'm at 3 months soon and I'm worried that I either have to go back for surgery to close the hole, or that I'll have to keep using this syringe forever to keep the hole clean.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

How do you know there is still a hole? Can you see it or do you only feel it with your tongue? A lot of times patients mistake sockets for being " open ", because they can feel an indentation which they then mistake for an open hole. This is most likely because the socket has not been filled up with bone yet, although it is still actually closed with soft tissue and immature bone. For a socket to "heal" so that it " feels " closed or smooth, it can take up to 6 months for the process of bone formation and resorption to complete. By that stage the alveolar bone should be at a more or less horizontal level.

Vote:
Good day

How do you know there is still a hole? Can you see it or do you only feel it with your tongue? A lot of times patients mistake sockets for being " open ", because they can feel an indentation which they then mistake for an open hole. This is most likely because the socket has not been filled up with bone yet, although it is still actually closed with soft tissue and immature bone. For a socket to "heal" so that it " feels " closed or smooth, it can take up to 6 months for the process of bone formation and resorption to complete. By that stage the alveolar bone should be at a more or less horizontal level.
Good day. I thought there was a hole because there was a dark spot in there and I was able to place the syringe a bit deeper in that spot. Though maybe I was just pushing the syringe into the soft tissue. I just took a closer look by pulling my cheek to the side and it looks more like a slit now than a hole. I'm not sure if food can pass through there but I'll just keep cleaning the area with the saltwater syringe until it the soft tissue smoothens out. Thank you.

Vote:

Ask a Question