Calcified tooth pieces in appendix causing appendicitis possible?

If a tooth was left in a mouth that was Calcified do to radiation is it possible that it causes appendicitis. Also can the calcification from the tooth spread to the thyroid preventing tooth eruption till later in life.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day
I have never heard of this happening before. Thyroid problems can cause tooth issues, and radiation can affect thyroid tissue, but a calcified tooth, won't cause this.

Vote:
My case is unique because I have had this baby tooth since I was 4 it was calcified so I think it spread out and in later few years spread to other areas of the body. My dentist some how missed it all these years for some reason. After it flew out of my mouth the new tooth was already erupted so at least that went fast. I forgot to add that it seemed to shed calcification off like plaque which it did at the root into the blood. It later did this effecting my appendix.

Last edited:

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The calcifications you speak of, sounds like dental calculus. If you had excessive dental calculus, I think there is a possibility that you might have periodontal disease. Studies have showns that periodontal disease has links with heart and kidney disease, cancer, osteoporosis and in some rare cases appendicitis. Acute appendicitis is very rare though.
If you are indeed one of these cases, I think you need to see a periodontist, so that this can be evaluated and managed.

Vote:
Thanks for the response I dont think I have periodontal disease because only one tooth was effected. I believe it was associated with some kind of radiation I got or maybe extreme age of the tooth which effected all the teeth as well as my thyroid and appendix. My pediatrician mentioned thyroid cancer but a house fire had made all my records disappear for some reason.

Vote:

Ask a Question