Is it normal that Zirconia crown feels unnatural against tongue?

Nan

Except for slight curves, the occlusal surface feels undefined as opposed to my molar on opposite side which feels more indented/sharp/hollow.
As well when I look at the occlusal view of mouth the crown looks slightly wider than my molar on the opposite side.
Is this all how it should be?
Bite feels fine and crown doesn't bother me when I don't intentionally feel it, but the width seems odd to my eye.

Crown is Katana STML cemented onto left first maxillary molar.

Please see attached photos. (side/occlusal. Crown is on the right hand side of the photo)
IMG_3410-001.JPG IMG_3420.JPG IMG_3448-001.JPG

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Looked into it more. Although there has been no proven links between asbestos and ovarian cancer, it seems that because J&J were aware of a possibility of a link, but didn't investigate or warn people, then they became liable. If they'd put up a warning, they'd have been legally covered. Crazy Americans (sorry honestdoc!). Good review article here and another statement here.

Vote:
Solutions
The report I read at the time said that both talc and asbestos had been found in the ovaries removed. Both talc and asbestos was also found in the product. The product was promoted for "intimate use". I think they plan to appeal, but legally it appears a robust case because asbestos is a known carcinogen.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
We have an unfortunate legal "tort" system here in the US. Look up spilled coffee lawsuit Liebeck vs McDonalds. Also, slightly related...the US healthcare system is a joke across the globe. If you visit here, don't get sick or injured. Your hospital bill may be over $10,000 or more.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The report I read at the time said that both talc and asbestos had been found in the ovaries removed. Both talc and asbestos was also found in the product. The product was promoted for "intimate use". I think they plan to appeal, but legally it appears a robust case because asbestos is a known carcinogen.
Sure, find me the article, please.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
"MattKW this was a couple of months ago and I don't post links on here. But it should all be in the case notes if you investigate the details. Fact is that even in the US they would not have won such as substantial sum if they did not have a good case."
You don't post links? Then how am I meant to judge the veracity of your comments? I supplied the most respectable info I could find, but I am always willing to look at more. In the US, people are awarded costs in cases that would be unusual in UK or Aust. And J&J are appealing, so this is not over yet. Anyway, got way off topic, so happy to end here, bye.

Vote:
Solutions
MattKW I deleted that comment because we are off topic and I realised you're just baiting me. Thanks for posting something I've deleted. You took this thread off topic but the facts are out there if you care to check. Have a great day/night!

Vote:
Except for slight curves, the occlusal surface feels undefined as opposed to my molar on opposite side which feels more indented/sharp/hollow.
As well when I look at the occlusal view of mouth the crown looks slightly wider than my molar on the opposite side.
Is this all how it should be?
Bite feels fine and crown doesn't bother me when I don't intentionally feel it, but the width seems odd to my eye.

Crown is Katana STML cemented onto left first maxillary molar.

Please see attached photos. (side/occlusal. Crown is on the right hand side of the photo)
View attachment 1962 View attachment 1963 View attachment 1964
Nan, you're extremely fortunate to have teeth like that. Be thankful. There are millions of Americans who would be willing to murder a small city to have your dental health. Be thankful every single day.

Vote:

Ask a Question